Skip to main content

the middle of somewhere


I was sitting here contemplating what fun/project cowboy will have scheduled for us this weekend. Sigh! The past two weekends, my muscles and patience were tested with digging post holes and building fence. I didn't get to do one thing that I wanted! So, not wanting to think about this weekend's hard work, my mind remembered my blog. I haven't thought of it or looked at it for a good bit.

So, here I am!

I glanced at my last blog post, which was written almost two years ago. It's crazy to look back and remember where I was and where I ended up today. I called my mom at the beginning of the week, and she was telling me about when she and my dad started dating. They were chuckling while remembering, but that is a moment that needed to happen to get from that point to this point.

So, here's to progress - good, bad, ugly, fun, and sad!

1. We bought a house, and it wasn't a moment too soon. The home we purchased was an old home that hadn't been lived in for several years. We dove in, gutted the majority of it, and are still in the process of putting it back together. It was so old that when we scrapped the lath and plaster off the walls we realized we had purchased a log home. We didn't live in the house during 6-7 months of the renovation process, but we're there now and I love it, even without the trim.







Things I've learned in the process:

- Plaster and lath are a nightmare
- Plumbing in the crawl space gives me the creeps
- Wiring a light fixture or electrical socket isn't too complicated
- Installing a floating floor is doable
- Grouting is one of my least favorite activities, especially when the grout dries faster than you can get it wiped off. 
- I can get by with a good bed, a shower and hot water, electricity, outside faucets, a washing machine, and a warm house. The other things are just icing on the cake...
-Cowboy is an amazing guy. We did the majority of the work! It was hard, continuous (still), but I couldn't have done it without him



- Lowe's is more organized than the Home Depot
- People were so kind and generous to help us out





2. Yes, I'm still slaying it in Junior High. I can't believe it's been nine years!  The information on his shirt is not correct...




3. We've had a hard time growing our family. We started with infertility issues. We worked hard to get through that and now are onto the next challenge. It was a an overwhelming miracle to realize we were indeed pregnant after years of trying. I think we were both in shock, and it took a minute to soak in the joy. Then our joy was brought to a halt - we were a few months along when we miscarried. Now we've had two hard miscarriages that sting a lot, yet both have taught us immensely. This summer I learned about depression, fear, sadness, hope, hard work, and contentment. I think we're given hard experiences to allow us to know Christ in very personal ways. He helps us move through and past our weaknesses and sadness, and it's been a pleasure to come to know him better. My heart is full! 

4. We own a few horses - Wink, Repo, Hondo, Easy, the mare, and her colt. I'm learning how to work with and earn the trust of our colt. It's been so neat!

Repo
Hondo
Easy

5. My hate of cows just grew...




6. Looking back, things might not have turned out how we planned but they've worked out in incredible ways - and that is priceless!

Much Love,
A

Comments

  1. We sure love you guys and have a deep admiration for the hard work and heart break you endured this summer! Praying for the third miracle and for a healthy and joyful outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for a new blog post! I love your life and I love your consistency in finding contentment, come what may. You are wonderful and I feel so lucky to have your influence in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cowboy Take Me Away

My friend Rebecca gave me the charge to post pictures of someone important in my life. I am not good at blogging, but because I like Rebecca and because she lives all the way in Texas, I will oblige. It all started back when I was born. I was born into a family with many interesting and wonderful dynamics. One aspect of my life that many don't recognize is that I love riding horses. I am not an expert equestrian, but those amazing animals were part of my childhood. My mom's dad is a horseman, and my mom is a cowgirl. I grew up riding and I think I have some of my grandpa and mom's horse blood in me. High school came along and with it so did the Dixie Chicks' song, "Cowboy take me away." I loved the song so much I even learned the words to it, which doesn't occur very often for me. That's another story though. Its words portray a picture of what seemed like a nice future at the time - a cowboy, boots, hard work, kissing and howling into the moonlight, a

it finally happened...

well folks, it finally happened. he picked up the ring, he popped the question, he talked to my dad, and i said yes.

It's been awhile....

I think there are three of you who read my blog. You're all a big deal though, so I decided to write again for you three people. I am hoping this post may be slightly therapeutic too, because I sure need some of that. We are on week five of our school year, and it seems like every time I get slightly comfortable something occurs that makes me very uncomfortable. I won't divulge too many details, but needless to say I came away feeling violated, disgusting, and not very trusting. Luckily for me, the scriptures had just the right answers when I needed them most. I am reading about Mormon in the actual book of Mormon. He is dealing with the Nephites who are described as being so disobedient that Mormon doesn't give a full account "that ye might not have too much sorrow because of the wickedness of this people." (Mormon 5: 9) Sound like a world we live in? Mormon previously states a perfect description of my feelings of this "wicked" state when he shares his