Skip to main content

enjoying the journey

so this engagement period has been interesting. cowboy and I got engaged at the end of january and suddenly we're in the middle of march. today i get to go pick out flowers and finalize reception center pieces. the dress is ready along with the shoes, the temple date and time are set, and the house stuff is moving along better than imagined. that all being said, it hasn't been an easy process.

i have never been engaged, so i didn't know what the experience would be like. it's been a good challenge. i know i am doing an essential thing that will be life changing and wonderful, but i've also caught onto the challenge of it too. the first week i was engaged i felt like i had been punched in the stomach. i didn't know what was right or what was wrong, and i wondered what i had gotten myself into. i never doubted my love for cowboy; i just doubted myself being in the position that i was. people around me were excited about wedding plans and I wanted to crawl under my bed and hide. what was wrong with me?

luckily that week passed, and a powerful insight came. elder holland said it best with these words, "with any major decision there are cautions and considerations to make, but once there has been illumination, beware the temptation to retreat from a good thing. if it was right when you prayed about it and trusted it and lived for it, it is right now."

when i marry cowboy in the temple we are forming an eternal family. it's the one thing that heavenly father's plan of happiness is built around. satan despises this fact and works hard to prevent the formation of an eternal family. he targeted me and continues to do so, because i still feel the temptation to retreat from this good thing. luckily i am doing well at fighting back, because, "fighting through darkness and despair and pleading for the light is what opened this dispensation. it is what keeps it going, and it is what will keep you going. " (elder holland) i can do hard things, so i totally have this covered, right now at least.

another challenge has been that hanna was engaged around the same time, and now is no longer going through with it. my heart has hurt for her, and i haven't known how to act. i have wanted to give her space and the freedom to grieve. i didn't dare speak about or talk about my own wedding, so it became taboo. she didn't make that happen, it just sort of occurred. i hope she finds happiness and peace soon.

so what does all that have to do with today? i'll tell ya, because i know you're all dying to find out. i was driving home from work yesterday and had the thought that i totally have been missing the mark. i have been so busy, overwhelmed, and stressed that i have forgotten to find joy in my engagement journey. so, i am over you stress. this is my moment, my experience, and i am going to love and embrace every moment.

so, get thee hence satan and stress and stay away.

capeesh!

a

Comments

  1. Can I just say.....CONGRATULATIONS and surprise!!!!
    We are so delighted for you and Bishop is so glad you found your cowboy! If he's anything like mine.....you will be one lucky, happy and blessed girl! We were thrilled to get an invitation and will be there at the temple. Bishop even asked off of his temple shift because as he put it...."this is one time I am going to go and support someone I care about!" Me too! We love you and are so happy for you. This is right and you will be blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cowboy Take Me Away

My friend Rebecca gave me the charge to post pictures of someone important in my life. I am not good at blogging, but because I like Rebecca and because she lives all the way in Texas, I will oblige. It all started back when I was born. I was born into a family with many interesting and wonderful dynamics. One aspect of my life that many don't recognize is that I love riding horses. I am not an expert equestrian, but those amazing animals were part of my childhood. My mom's dad is a horseman, and my mom is a cowgirl. I grew up riding and I think I have some of my grandpa and mom's horse blood in me. High school came along and with it so did the Dixie Chicks' song, "Cowboy take me away." I loved the song so much I even learned the words to it, which doesn't occur very often for me. That's another story though. Its words portray a picture of what seemed like a nice future at the time - a cowboy, boots, hard work, kissing and howling into the moonlight, a

it finally happened...

well folks, it finally happened. he picked up the ring, he popped the question, he talked to my dad, and i said yes.

It's been awhile....

I think there are three of you who read my blog. You're all a big deal though, so I decided to write again for you three people. I am hoping this post may be slightly therapeutic too, because I sure need some of that. We are on week five of our school year, and it seems like every time I get slightly comfortable something occurs that makes me very uncomfortable. I won't divulge too many details, but needless to say I came away feeling violated, disgusting, and not very trusting. Luckily for me, the scriptures had just the right answers when I needed them most. I am reading about Mormon in the actual book of Mormon. He is dealing with the Nephites who are described as being so disobedient that Mormon doesn't give a full account "that ye might not have too much sorrow because of the wickedness of this people." (Mormon 5: 9) Sound like a world we live in? Mormon previously states a perfect description of my feelings of this "wicked" state when he shares his