Skip to main content

the big A town

Cowboy and I are hitched and living the life in the big A town. It's been a transition to say the least. I thought I would share some interesting facts about the big A town:

 
 


It was originally know as Root Hog.
It has a population of 995 people. I don't know how many horses or cows reside in the area.
There is a river that is sometimes present and sometimes not - thus the name Lost River.
Arco was the first community in the world ever to be lit by electricity generated by nuclear power.
There are a few bars that line the streets.
It does have a grocery store called the A&A.
There is one blinking light. 
You have to plan ahead because everything closes early.


We live in a small, old house that has its advantages and disadvantages. We are just renting for the time being till I decide if 'we' or should I say 'I' can handle Arco. There are a lot of nice cabinets in the kitchen along with tiles adorned with depictions of chickens dressed as cowboys. We have nice sized rooms and acreage. There is electricity and running water. There happens to be an unintentional sauna upstairs while it feels like an iceberg downstairs. If you have issues with being a naturally hot or cold person - there's something for everyone. The floors either tilt uphill or downhill, meaning we have to put boards under appliances to make sure they stand straight. I have already caught a mouse in the house. Also, the aroma of the place is well, old smelling. There is room for a roping arena and a round pin; Cowboy just has to decide on panels. The commute to and from work is 50 minutes one way for me, but it's less for Cowboy. I have to plan ahead with food, because a trip to Walmart or a well-stocked and varied grocery store is an hour away. We also got busy and have some additions to announce in our lives...

There are five of these little guys that I get to make bottles for and feed twice a day. Their brown eyes are pretty startling, and I am working hard on not getting attached. A student informed me I should name them all after him.

Needless to say, life is a good adventure. I've recognized the joy in simplicity. No one cares about fashion or forward thinking here in the big A town. The folks wake up early, use their hands and energy to provide for their families, and then rope cows for fun. The old timers at church are fun to chat to - they've worked hard for their families and for their covenants and their hands are amazing symbols of the lives they've lived. Their nails are rough and stained, their fingers twisted and battered with hard work, and yet their hand shakes are so generous. I know there is a story with each mark on those hands. I've discovered that we live in a world where we try to find joy in what might come or what we might acquire, rather than being content with what already exists in our lives. I'm grateful for that lesson. 

I am still waiting on wedding pictures so I can write about that experience. My dear friend took the pictures, but had to finish up her thesis before she could begin the picture project. I just found out her thesis has been approved and she gets to graduate! It's a big enough deal to mention.

Comments

  1. Umm...are you sure you don't live in Drummond, Montana? Because you just described it (other than your population being 3x Drummond, the bar has a different name, and D was not the first lit by atomic power). But you described the setting and people pretty right on. We even have classes that write their year number on the rocks (I'm guessing that's what that is in the first picture)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

it finally happened...

well folks, it finally happened. he picked up the ring, he popped the question, he talked to my dad, and i said yes.

Cowboy Take Me Away

My friend Rebecca gave me the charge to post pictures of someone important in my life. I am not good at blogging, but because I like Rebecca and because she lives all the way in Texas, I will oblige. It all started back when I was born. I was born into a family with many interesting and wonderful dynamics. One aspect of my life that many don't recognize is that I love riding horses. I am not an expert equestrian, but those amazing animals were part of my childhood. My mom's dad is a horseman, and my mom is a cowgirl. I grew up riding and I think I have some of my grandpa and mom's horse blood in me. High school came along and with it so did the Dixie Chicks' song, "Cowboy take me away." I loved the song so much I even learned the words to it, which doesn't occur very often for me. That's another story though. Its words portray a picture of what seemed like a nice future at the time - a cowboy, boots, hard work, kissing and howling into the moonlight, a

It's been awhile....

I think there are three of you who read my blog. You're all a big deal though, so I decided to write again for you three people. I am hoping this post may be slightly therapeutic too, because I sure need some of that. We are on week five of our school year, and it seems like every time I get slightly comfortable something occurs that makes me very uncomfortable. I won't divulge too many details, but needless to say I came away feeling violated, disgusting, and not very trusting. Luckily for me, the scriptures had just the right answers when I needed them most. I am reading about Mormon in the actual book of Mormon. He is dealing with the Nephites who are described as being so disobedient that Mormon doesn't give a full account "that ye might not have too much sorrow because of the wickedness of this people." (Mormon 5: 9) Sound like a world we live in? Mormon previously states a perfect description of my feelings of this "wicked" state when he shares his