Skip to main content

happily imperfect

I read an interesting article(here)about social media and the effects it is having on culture. It's about how we need to stop posting our perfect lives online, because the reality is our lives are not perfect.

I struggled for a bit with a couple of friends/ladies and their blogs/facebook accounts awhile back for various reasons. I am over it now, but will admit jealousy existed. It was my issue entirely. I must have had glasses on that only allowed me to see what their lives contained (clothes, hobbies, vacations, traveling, amazing food, incredible photography skills, and immaculately clean and well designed homes)and focus on what I thought my life lacked (insert same list as above). I must have got kicked by a cow pretty hard because one day it dawned on me that no one's life is better or worse than mine...they are simply different. I love that idea. So I will go on preparing my scrumptious lemon cream pie that I don't think Cowboy really likes and probably not take a picture of it. Then I will remind myself that I still have a boat load of dishes glaring me down. I hate doing dishes about as much as I hate not having them done. Then I will try another candle/smelly item in the bathroom, because some little critter has passed away in there. We can't get to the 'stinker' because it's inside the flooring, but we can sure smell the stench. I will go to bed exhausted every night, and give thanks for my happily imperfect life that probably won't ever be posted on instagram. I don't have the skill set for it : )

Respectfully Yours,

A

P.S. Summer is almost here. It's a great thing.

P.P.S. What do you think about this article(here)and the role of women in society? Alice Walker, the author of the Color Purple, has a daughter who wrote this post about her feminist mother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cowboy Take Me Away

My friend Rebecca gave me the charge to post pictures of someone important in my life. I am not good at blogging, but because I like Rebecca and because she lives all the way in Texas, I will oblige. It all started back when I was born. I was born into a family with many interesting and wonderful dynamics. One aspect of my life that many don't recognize is that I love riding horses. I am not an expert equestrian, but those amazing animals were part of my childhood. My mom's dad is a horseman, and my mom is a cowgirl. I grew up riding and I think I have some of my grandpa and mom's horse blood in me. High school came along and with it so did the Dixie Chicks' song, "Cowboy take me away." I loved the song so much I even learned the words to it, which doesn't occur very often for me. That's another story though. Its words portray a picture of what seemed like a nice future at the time - a cowboy, boots, hard work, kissing and howling into the moonlight, a

it finally happened...

well folks, it finally happened. he picked up the ring, he popped the question, he talked to my dad, and i said yes.

It's been awhile....

I think there are three of you who read my blog. You're all a big deal though, so I decided to write again for you three people. I am hoping this post may be slightly therapeutic too, because I sure need some of that. We are on week five of our school year, and it seems like every time I get slightly comfortable something occurs that makes me very uncomfortable. I won't divulge too many details, but needless to say I came away feeling violated, disgusting, and not very trusting. Luckily for me, the scriptures had just the right answers when I needed them most. I am reading about Mormon in the actual book of Mormon. He is dealing with the Nephites who are described as being so disobedient that Mormon doesn't give a full account "that ye might not have too much sorrow because of the wickedness of this people." (Mormon 5: 9) Sound like a world we live in? Mormon previously states a perfect description of my feelings of this "wicked" state when he shares his