Skip to main content

Cowboy Take Me Away

My friend Rebecca gave me the charge to post pictures of someone important in my life. I am not good at blogging, but because I like Rebecca and because she lives all the way in Texas, I will oblige.

It all started back when I was born. I was born into a family with many interesting and wonderful dynamics. One aspect of my life that many don't recognize is that I love riding horses. I am not an expert equestrian, but those amazing animals were part of my childhood. My mom's dad is a horseman, and my mom is a cowgirl. I grew up riding and I think I have some of my grandpa and mom's horse blood in me.

High school came along and with it so did the Dixie Chicks' song, "Cowboy take me away." I loved the song so much I even learned the words to it, which doesn't occur very often for me. That's another story though. Its words portray a picture of what seemed like a nice future at the time - a cowboy, boots, hard work, kissing and howling into the moonlight, and being close. Rustic and romantic, I know. It reminded me of growing up and fond memories I had.


Then I went to college, on a mission, back to college, and finally graduated. I traveled near and far, and I lost track of my cowboy dream. I gained a love for all things latin, I made it to NYC and discovered the joy of diversity and shoes, I flew to DC and met history and embraced it. I also searched high and low for a job and finally was blessed with a call from West Jefferson School District in Terreton, ID. They called me to work for them, and little did I know what this job would rekindle in my life.

Cowboys.

After working in West Jefferson and seeing all the western influences that surrounded me, I knew I was destined for country greatness. Students rock boots, accessorize with vests and cowboy scarves, and shoot the breeze about cattle prices in 3rd grade. It's pretty great.

The desire or want starting to creep into my heart. I wanted to find one of my own that was age appropriate and madly in love with me. It's harder than it looks. I even bought boots in my attempt to fit in and to wear when I went to ride horses.

Now to the present - almost four years later.

I moved away from my folks and started attending a singles ward. I had someone great in my life but started to recognize that I needed something more to reach the potential my Heavenly Father had planned for me. It all started at a party for the Boise State game. He was invited and ended up coming, because apparently he's quite 'comfortable' and would make the situation comfortable. He chatted. They chatted. I chatted. We chatted. The game ended and the night's festivities came to an end, and being the girl that I am I quickly gathered my things and left in speedy style. Little did I know what type of impression I had left on Him.

He wanted to ask me out, but He didn't because Christmas time had arrived. (I found this out much later.)

Later on after the holidays came to an end, He did ask me out. I gave Him a run for his money though because someone else was still in my life. He didn't know that. I didn't know what to do about that. It was a tricky situation. Well, I am glad He kept trying and we had several great adventures, including a group date with the two of us + Hanna. I know right - pretty great.

I think I was starting to like Him and He was starting to like me, but I still had someone else. Then one day He told me He liked me and wanted me in His life. I knew at that moment that I liked Him too and wanted him in my life but had to let go of someone else. So, without letting Him know what was happening, I let someone else know that I couldn't have someone else in my life any more. It was hard, tricky, emotional, and my own fault. So, right after that hard situation He called and saved me. He didn't tell me to go away, He didn't tell me that I was crazy, He didn't even tell me anything. He held on to me for dear life, and I knew I had done the right thing. I knew I would be okay if He was there by my side.

So, needless to say we started with a tricky situation, but I am grateful that He is still around. I don't think tricky situations stop occurring. I just think it's nice knowing that I have someone around to help me make it through those situations.

My mom informed me that He and I would have great adventures together and that she had never seen me happier or more content. I trust her and appreciated her noticing that I was and am happy with Him.

Did I mention He's a cowboy? Dreams do come true. He rides and ropes and even has an accent. He says, "I seen that," rather than, "I saw that." He dolls His bridles up, and He sings every word to almost every country song ever written. He plays hard and hardly sleeps. He helps out when help is needed, and He loves skinny pants, or at least is getting used to the idea. He kisses me and my heart goes crazy, and He has a heart of gold. He is passionate about what he does, and horses just might be in his blood. He is also considering letting me get aligator skin boots.


I am pretty lucky that I have a cowboy. Larry the Cable Guy informed us that there are only about 10,000 working cowboys in the United States. Do you see what I mean by lucky?


I love Him though, not only for his western flare. If I only loved Him because He is cowboy than I would be missing the mark. I was driving in the car the other day after seeing Him and was overcome by the feeling of gratitude. He was the answer to my prayers. I had put myself in a tricky situation, and He was the fire under my fanny that allowed me to be brave and get out of the tricky situation. He loves me for me and is content with just me. I don't have to be anyone else. He loves God more than me, and loves me more than life itself. He is quick witted, smart, kind, and funny. He keeps me on my toes, and He is one of the best parts of my life. We're distinct in our likes and hobbies, but we're similar in the fact that we need each other.

I think it's fair enough to say that He is mine and I am his. We are a 'we' now. There's me, He, and we. I love Him and He loves me and that means everything to me.

So world, here's my cowboy Nick.

(notice his favorite brown sweatshirt)

and Nick, here's your girl...

(notice my skinnies)

Maybe one of these days we'll actually get a picture of us together. I think we're a pretty great pair.

P.S. Two weeks till summer vacation.



Comments

  1. Alisa! A blog post! And a big one! About Nick! It makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisa...this was so fun to read! I love you! I'm so happy for you, and I must agree with everything you said about cowboys. They are pretty great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you dearly my friend....great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Alisa! You sure do keep secrets! I'm so happy for you and glad that you've finally found someone to "take you away!"

    P.S. The Dixie Chicks have NOTHING on the Ditzy Chicks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

it finally happened...

well folks, it finally happened. he picked up the ring, he popped the question, he talked to my dad, and i said yes.

It's been awhile....

I think there are three of you who read my blog. You're all a big deal though, so I decided to write again for you three people. I am hoping this post may be slightly therapeutic too, because I sure need some of that. We are on week five of our school year, and it seems like every time I get slightly comfortable something occurs that makes me very uncomfortable. I won't divulge too many details, but needless to say I came away feeling violated, disgusting, and not very trusting. Luckily for me, the scriptures had just the right answers when I needed them most. I am reading about Mormon in the actual book of Mormon. He is dealing with the Nephites who are described as being so disobedient that Mormon doesn't give a full account "that ye might not have too much sorrow because of the wickedness of this people." (Mormon 5: 9) Sound like a world we live in? Mormon previously states a perfect description of my feelings of this "wicked" state when he shares his