Skip to main content

god is love

I've just been released from the Relief Society presidency and got pegged to be a Sunday School teacher. Easy enough, right? Oh no. Teaching in my classroom is different from teaching adults in a church setting. Unfortunately, some of the adults are more rowdy and less attentive than the 7th and 8th graders. So, needless to say, I was nervous to teach this past Sunday. When I get nervous my cheeks turn candy apple red and I can hardly speak. I also perspire, because of the hot flashes that come my way when I get nervous. It's lovely to have that all happen when I'm standing in front of a crowd of 60+ people.

The lesson's objective made it worth it though to stand and sweat in front of people. We talked about God's love for us and how we can show our love for him. Read the first sentence in the paragraph again, please. The line of 'God is Love' comes from 1 John in the New Testament and emphasizes how all love originates from our Heavenly Father. Our most innate desire is to love and be loved, because that's how we functioned in the premortal world with our Heavenly Father and Jesus. While I was contemplating that idea, Lehi's vision of the tree of life popped into my head. This story is found in 1 Nephi 8.

2 And it came to pass that while my father tarried in the wilderness he spake unto us, saying: Behold, I have adreamed a dream; or, in other words, I have bseen a cvision. 5 And it came to pass that I saw a aman, and he was dressed in a white brobe; and he came and stood before me. 6 And it came to pass that he spake unto me, and bade me follow him. 7 And it came to pass that as I followed him I beheld myself that I was in a dark and dreary waste. 8 And after I had traveled for the space of many hours in darkness, I began to pray unto the Lord that he would have amercy on me, according to the multitude of his tender mercies. 9 And it came to pass after I had prayed unto the Lord I beheld a large and spacious afield. 10 And it came to pass that I beheld a atree, whose bfruit was desirable to make one chappy. 11 And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the afruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the bwhiteness that I had ever seen. 12 And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great ajoy; wherefore, I began to be bdesirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was cdesirable above all other fruit.

Lehi went onto explain how he saw his family in the dream and desired that they would come and partake of the fruit with him. Some did, yet others did not. Nephi wondered what the meaning of this dream was, so he inquired in prayer. His answer came in 1 Nephi 11.

21 And the angel said unto me: Behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the bSon of the Eternal cFather! Knowest thou the meaning of the dtree which thy father saw? 22 And I answered him, saying: Yea, it is the alove of God, which bsheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore, it is the cmost desirable above all things. 23 And he spake unto me, saying: Yea, and the most ajoyous to the soul. 24 And after he had said these words, he said unto me: Look! And I looked, and I beheld the Son of God agoing forth among the children of men; and I saw many fall down at his feet and worship him. 25 And it came to pass that I beheld that the arod of iron, which my father had seen, was the bword of God, which cled to the fountain of dliving waters, or to the etree of life; which waters are a representation of the love of God; and I also beheld that the tree of life was a representation of the love of God.


My whole point to this is that the tree does not come to us; we have to go to the tree ourselves. God's love for us is always available; we just have to go to it. There was a lot that Lehi's family had to pass through and avoid to arrive at the tree and partake of its fruit. It was a hard journey just to get there, but it was most desirable. The fullness of God's love is perfect, infinite, universal,and enduring. It's also conditional upon our obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel. The more we obey, the more we feel love. It was enlightening to realize that. When I don't feel loved, I can be the problem solver and find ways to love others and God, and then I'm promised that I will feel more loved. I guess you can say we are asked to Act rather than expect to be Acted upon. I think God's love is worth it. What is one way you can show God that you love him?

It's been a good goal for me to figure that out each day. I have found that when I work at loving Him, I feel more of His love for me and for others around me.

Sincerely,

A

Comments

  1. Miss A. You are to cute! I want to follow your blog to! I checked out camilles website and LOVED IT! I am going to order a quilt pattern from her! I love that your family made the Ruby fabric! I think that is so cool! That quilt will now be extra special for me now! My grandmas name was Ruby to :) Thats fun you are your wards Sunday School teacher. That is my calling to. I get so nervous every week, but thank goodness some adults can talk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. Beautiful. What a great insight, especially for this time of year. Did you know that I miss your Sunday school lessons? You are my favorite SS teacher of all time. Also, you have a couch?! And an arm chair!? I NEED to see them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cowboy Take Me Away

My friend Rebecca gave me the charge to post pictures of someone important in my life. I am not good at blogging, but because I like Rebecca and because she lives all the way in Texas, I will oblige. It all started back when I was born. I was born into a family with many interesting and wonderful dynamics. One aspect of my life that many don't recognize is that I love riding horses. I am not an expert equestrian, but those amazing animals were part of my childhood. My mom's dad is a horseman, and my mom is a cowgirl. I grew up riding and I think I have some of my grandpa and mom's horse blood in me. High school came along and with it so did the Dixie Chicks' song, "Cowboy take me away." I loved the song so much I even learned the words to it, which doesn't occur very often for me. That's another story though. Its words portray a picture of what seemed like a nice future at the time - a cowboy, boots, hard work, kissing and howling into the moonlight, a

it finally happened...

well folks, it finally happened. he picked up the ring, he popped the question, he talked to my dad, and i said yes.

It's been awhile....

I think there are three of you who read my blog. You're all a big deal though, so I decided to write again for you three people. I am hoping this post may be slightly therapeutic too, because I sure need some of that. We are on week five of our school year, and it seems like every time I get slightly comfortable something occurs that makes me very uncomfortable. I won't divulge too many details, but needless to say I came away feeling violated, disgusting, and not very trusting. Luckily for me, the scriptures had just the right answers when I needed them most. I am reading about Mormon in the actual book of Mormon. He is dealing with the Nephites who are described as being so disobedient that Mormon doesn't give a full account "that ye might not have too much sorrow because of the wickedness of this people." (Mormon 5: 9) Sound like a world we live in? Mormon previously states a perfect description of my feelings of this "wicked" state when he shares his