Skip to main content

dirty figernails

Hi there,

I must have gotten the writing bug. Two posts in one week. I have just been chuckling all week as I have watched these events unfold and had to share my slice of country.

It's that time of year when hunting enthusiasts walk around in their special camouflage duds. Guns are being sighted in. Secret spots are being guarded yet bragged about. Old stories are being compared. Pickups are being loaded up. Just normal things in my neck of the woods.

outwriteoutdoors.com
Did I mention students are missing school? Yep, it's a big deal. Yesterday was opening season for the general deer hunt. My normal drive to school that usually consists of two cars, a couple of truckers with a load of hay, and several antelope is now faced with many hunters and their rigs - trailers, four wheelers, gas grills, tree stands and duds for the next two weeks. You know, just the essentials. They pull off the road, hike into their 'secret' spot, and await their opportunity to eye the prize and then shoot it.
www.dreamstime.com
Hunting Fact : Hunters are territorial. They have their spots, and this is information not even shared with all family members. Cowboy and many other Arcoites are annoyed that outsiders are coming to 'our' area to find their prized buck. It can get contentious, sort of like our government shutdown. 

Another Hunting Fact: You can buy deer urine in a bottle. Yes, it's real urine. Deer have sensitively impeccable smell. There is also buck urine, doe urine, doe estrous, and tarsal gland scents just to name a few. It's all based on what you are hunting for. If your curiosity has been piqued beyond control, you will find the following website very helpful. (http://www.codebluescents.com/catalog.aspx?catid=whitetail&cn=3000754&att=3000754)

http://www.codebluescents.com/productdetail.aspx?id=328781

 I will get back to my story now. Cowboy couldn't go opening day because of work, but this morning the alarm went off before the crack of dawn. I drifted in and out of sleep as I tried to ignore the awful whine of his alarm, and then he came to give me a hug and kiss goodbye. I didn't recognize him with all that camouflage garb on. What can a girl do when her man gets so excited? 

I sent him off, got ready for the day, headed to work, and drove past all the hunters. Then I came upon a great surprise.

www.dreamstime.com
Two good sized bucks standing right along the road. I couldn't help but smile because I saw what everyone else was looking for. If only I were a hunter...

It's pretty great to be an accidental country girl.

I heard a quote by Will Rogers. He was a famous western movie actor. He said something that I love. 


What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds.

I couldn't have said it better myself. So, I will continue to smile as I drive past all the hunters. They are taking their sons and daughters even and having personal time with them. They are hiking in the mountains and learning to be patient. They are doing something they love.

Respectfully Yours,

A

P.S. I just a read a cool word and felt like sharing. It is snollygoster - a cleaver, unscrupulous person
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cowboy Take Me Away

My friend Rebecca gave me the charge to post pictures of someone important in my life. I am not good at blogging, but because I like Rebecca and because she lives all the way in Texas, I will oblige. It all started back when I was born. I was born into a family with many interesting and wonderful dynamics. One aspect of my life that many don't recognize is that I love riding horses. I am not an expert equestrian, but those amazing animals were part of my childhood. My mom's dad is a horseman, and my mom is a cowgirl. I grew up riding and I think I have some of my grandpa and mom's horse blood in me. High school came along and with it so did the Dixie Chicks' song, "Cowboy take me away." I loved the song so much I even learned the words to it, which doesn't occur very often for me. That's another story though. Its words portray a picture of what seemed like a nice future at the time - a cowboy, boots, hard work, kissing and howling into the moonlight, a

it finally happened...

well folks, it finally happened. he picked up the ring, he popped the question, he talked to my dad, and i said yes.

It's been awhile....

I think there are three of you who read my blog. You're all a big deal though, so I decided to write again for you three people. I am hoping this post may be slightly therapeutic too, because I sure need some of that. We are on week five of our school year, and it seems like every time I get slightly comfortable something occurs that makes me very uncomfortable. I won't divulge too many details, but needless to say I came away feeling violated, disgusting, and not very trusting. Luckily for me, the scriptures had just the right answers when I needed them most. I am reading about Mormon in the actual book of Mormon. He is dealing with the Nephites who are described as being so disobedient that Mormon doesn't give a full account "that ye might not have too much sorrow because of the wickedness of this people." (Mormon 5: 9) Sound like a world we live in? Mormon previously states a perfect description of my feelings of this "wicked" state when he shares his