Skip to main content

my body





Dear Reader,

(This is a girlish post with girlish information. If you're not into that sort of stuff, now is the time to exit.)

I have gone back and forth on whether I should post about recent experiences I have had. They are very personal, scary, and insightful all at the same time. I have come to the conclusion though, that great insights come when we are challenged. So here it goes...

It all started with this body of mine. I got married and figured birth control would simplify my life. I have had friends/family who were on various forms and had no problems or side effects whatsoever. Plus, Cowboy and I wanted time to be married and not rush into babyland. I went to visit the OB/GYN and found it simple enough to get a prescription. I asked good questions and was informed that I shouldn't be worried about side effects or problems. I figured that the doctor's word should be good enough for me. I was good to go for the first few months. I gained some weight, but that was probably good for me anyway. Then I found out my insurance was going to begin paying for contraceptions, but I needed to change brands. I did so, and the nightmare began. I bled. I bled for three straight months. It was painful and exhausting. I called the doctor's office and was given suggestions. I bled more. I went and had more appointments and still bled more. Then I gave up.

In desperation, I confided to my mom, my sisters, and a dear friend. My friend, who had been trying to get pregnant for sometime, suggested an amazing book call Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. I wasn't trying to get pregnant at that time; I was trying to get my body back. I came off birth control and will never get back on it.

I have been working on getting healthy and remaining healthy the last few months. Luckily that book gave me power to discover my next dilemma.

I am somewhat normal now and have been charting my cycles and applying the information I learned in this book to my everyday life. It's been a cool process that has empowered me. One thing that is spoken about in the above book is self breast examinations. I am a young thirty-year old and didn't have cancer on my radar. Then I found the lump. It was tender, obvious, and frightening. I didn't say a word about it for a couple of weeks, because I wasn't sure if it was my hormones playing a trick on me.

It didn't go away. I didn't know who to call or where to start in my journey. You cannot call and schedule a mammogram by yourself. You have to go the doctor's office and they send you to a radiologist for the mammogram, especially if there is concern. I had no clue. Also, insurance doesn't cover a mammogram until you are 35. I scheduled an appointment, asked Cowboy to go with me, anxiously awaited the appointment, prayed continually, and showed up hoping for the best. My voice cracked as I explained to the doctor why I had scheduled this appointment. He preformed an examination, felt the lump, and decided he wanted more tests preformed so we could have decisive information to work with. At this point, I was overwhelmed. What would my life be like from this point on if it was cancer? 

I have an aunt who took on Breast Cancer this past year, and she did it so gracefully. I figured if it was cancer, I would follow her example. 

Needless to say, after a couple ultrasounds and tests were preformed (which insurance does cover) it was determined that I have a fibrous cyst attached to my left breast. It's not malignant at this point, but I need to watch it very carefully. Sigh. 

I had had a silent prayer in my heart for several weeks, and the words from 'How Firm a Foundation' remained with me: 


Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,

For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.

I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand.

I am grateful. I am humbled. I am better educated. Our bodies are miracles and I am amazed by mine.

I am not claiming to be medically smart. If things have worked for you that haven't for me, than more power to you. I just felt like I needed to share with you what has worked for me.

-Alternatives to problems can be found outside and inside a doctor's office.
-You're never too young or too old.
-Learn about your body and its intricate systems.
-Figure out what your body is telling you.
-Listen to it.
-Treat it well.
-Love it for all that it is - a creation of the Most High.
-Pray

Sincerely,

A

P.S. My dear friend that suggested I read the book...she's having a baby. I am so happy for her and her husband. See, miracles do happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cowboy Take Me Away

My friend Rebecca gave me the charge to post pictures of someone important in my life. I am not good at blogging, but because I like Rebecca and because she lives all the way in Texas, I will oblige. It all started back when I was born. I was born into a family with many interesting and wonderful dynamics. One aspect of my life that many don't recognize is that I love riding horses. I am not an expert equestrian, but those amazing animals were part of my childhood. My mom's dad is a horseman, and my mom is a cowgirl. I grew up riding and I think I have some of my grandpa and mom's horse blood in me. High school came along and with it so did the Dixie Chicks' song, "Cowboy take me away." I loved the song so much I even learned the words to it, which doesn't occur very often for me. That's another story though. Its words portray a picture of what seemed like a nice future at the time - a cowboy, boots, hard work, kissing and howling into the moonlight, a

it finally happened...

well folks, it finally happened. he picked up the ring, he popped the question, he talked to my dad, and i said yes.

It's been awhile....

I think there are three of you who read my blog. You're all a big deal though, so I decided to write again for you three people. I am hoping this post may be slightly therapeutic too, because I sure need some of that. We are on week five of our school year, and it seems like every time I get slightly comfortable something occurs that makes me very uncomfortable. I won't divulge too many details, but needless to say I came away feeling violated, disgusting, and not very trusting. Luckily for me, the scriptures had just the right answers when I needed them most. I am reading about Mormon in the actual book of Mormon. He is dealing with the Nephites who are described as being so disobedient that Mormon doesn't give a full account "that ye might not have too much sorrow because of the wickedness of this people." (Mormon 5: 9) Sound like a world we live in? Mormon previously states a perfect description of my feelings of this "wicked" state when he shares his